Monday, September 5, 2011

Bonhoeffer

I received the book Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy to review as part of the Booksneeze program. I was a bit daunted by the size of this book when it came in the mail. At 576 pages, it seems like some people will just not bother to pick it up. All I can say is that it is their loss.
I have heard about Bonhoeffer all of my adult life but have never bothered to take the time to study his life. This was a great resource to use for discovering just the type of man he was. We learn of his conflicts over all that was happening in Germany during his lifetime. This was a man who felt deeply. He loved his country, and he loved the church. His desire to serve both to the best of his ability resulted in his death. But his death has inspired others to seek the best for their country through the Word.
I hesitate to recommend this book wholeheartedly only because of the length. I can see nothing that the author, Eric Metaxas, should have cut, but it is a long read. If you want to know more about this amazing man, there is no better book to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment