Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Job Well Done

A good man died yesterday. Most of you won't know his name. He was not famous. He was not powerful. He was not rich. At least not by the world's standards. Some of us think he was all of those things and more. I know that in years to come many will look back on their lives and be eternally grateful for the life that Wayne Walters led.

I knew Wayne for about 30 years. In all that time, I never saw him without a smile on his face and his arms open for a hug. He was a great example of showing the love of God to all. First, to his family. Then, to his friends. Finally, to anyone else that he met. He didn't make a big deal of his devotion. It wasn't flashy. It was just there. He loved you. He loved you because he was loved by a great God. I have seen the results of his love in his family.

All six of his children show that same love to others. They give honor and respect to everyone they meet. They learned this from their dad. I am sure that his lessons were not always the easiest to learn, but he was faithful to pass along his wisdom, and they were faithful to learn. I know that they will continue to follow the example that Wayne set, and we will all benefit. They will teach what they have learned to their children. They will touch the lives of their friends by living out what they know to be true.

It hurts to know that Wayne is not with us in body any longer. His presence will be sorely missed by many. But I know that when I look at Kyle, Matt, Nathan, Christina, Laura or Lindsey, I will see Wayne, and I will smile. Someday we will meet up again. Until then I know that the words, "well done, good and faithful servant" are ringing in his ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment