Friday, November 18, 2011

Why You Shouldn't Homeschool

I've been doing this homeschool thing for the past 21 years, and I have heard a lot of reasons as to why moms couldn't possibly homeschool their kids. I must agree with these women. There are some very valid reasons to not homeschool your children. Here are a few of the things I have heard over the years.
1. I am not a teacher. You are probably right. The federal, state, or local government has probably not recognized you as an "official" teacher. That doesn't mean you are not a teacher. Do your children know their names? Who do you suppose taught them that? When Sally tells daddy about what she did during the day, does she say " I am playing in the sandbox," or does she tell him that she played there? Congratulations! Without even working at it you have taught your child to conjugate verbs. Does your child know the difference between a pet and a tree? Good, basic scientific concepts of discerning between living and non-living things has been passed along. You see, you ARE a teacher. You teach 24/7/365 like it or not. You have taught your children an incredible amount before you even pass them off to the "real" teachers. What on earth makes you think you are not a teacher?
2. I don't have enough patience. This is one of the best reasons to not homeschool. I know because I don't have enough patience either. The amazing thing about homeschooling ( or marriage, or parenting, or living on a planet with other people) is that you develop patience as you go. My husband is one of the most patient people I have ever met, and yet, God gave him me for a wife to help develop patience in him. I know when you started this parenting thing you were not as patient as you are now. I also know there is room to grow. Ask any homeschooler around, and they will tell you that they did not start this because they were patient enough. Homeschooling, like all of life, gives you an opportunity to develop the patience that you need.
3. I don't know enough. If this is your reason for not homeschooling, then you are probably not a good candidate for the job. If you do not know enough to know how to learn, then you should not be learning alongside your child. Maybe you could ask him to homeschool you. Who has ever started something new and known all about it? When you began school did you know all the answers? How about when you got married, started a new job, had children, or began a new hobby? Every, and I repeat, every homeschool mom I have ever met has marveled at how much they have learned while homeschooling their children. This could be really good news for some of you. Did you know that studies show that keeping your brain active by learning new things could lessen the onset or effects of dementia and Alzheimer's? Homeschooling can keep you healthy.
Those are just a few of the most common reasons to not homeschool your children. There are tons more. It is easy to find an excuse to not do something that might be difficult or make you stand out from the crowd. I hope that some of you who have been using these excuses will seriously consider rethinking things and give homeschooling a try. You just might surprise yourself. If it doesn't work out for you, you can always send your kid back to the professionals. I don't think you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment