Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Blessing of Children

I recently read an article about the unintended consequences of China's infamous "one child" policy. It seems that the first wave of these only children are now grown, married and starting their own families. Since the husband and wife are both only children, these families are eligible to have two children. The problem is that many of them are choosing to remain childless, and a majority of them are opting for only one child. The reason they give? Children consume time, money and energy that they would rather spend on themselves.

In contrast I was thinking of an American family that was in the news quite a bit recently. The Duggars lost their 20th child not too long ago. This is a family that understands the cost of children in time, money and energy, but sees that they are worth the sacrifice. From their point of view, giving yourself to others is a privilege.

I have to wonder about the fate of these two societies in years to come. Which will be the more empathetic, caring people? I wish I could say that it would be the Americans, but I am not totally convinced that most Americans see the opportunity to serve others as a blessing like the Duggar family. I hope it is us. I hope we continue to decide that children are worth it because we will miss out on tremendous blessings otherwise.

1 comment: