Tuesday, October 19, 2021

A View of Regret

 


I have been going to the gym three times a week for a couple of years now. Not always, but I’m working on it. Like so many, I don’t like the work I put in, but I do like the way I feel after I go. Another plus is the opportunity to see the news from a variety of sources at the same time. My gym has a bank of television screens that I can watch as I exercise. I like that I can get a more balanced perspective this way. When all of the news stations are on commercial break at the same time, I switch over the see what the ladies are saying on “The View”. Usually, I am not a fan of their comments.

Recently, when I switched over, they were discussing regrets in life. A couple had the “it’s not the things I did that I regret, but the things I didn’t do” point of view, a pretty popular one in my experience, maybe because it is true for many. Sadly, one disagreed and regretted what she didn’t do. Joy (I don’t know her last name) regretted that she didn’t sleep around more when she was younger. I admit that I have paraphrased because it was a week or so ago, and I am old enough not to remember the exact wording.

When I heard her comment, I was shocked. Then, I was angry. Angry that young women (or even older women) would hear this and might find this an excuse for promiscuity or dissatisfaction with their own lack of diverse sexual experiences. Finally, I felt pity. How sad it is that anyone would say that not sleeping around as a young person is something they regret in life. Does she really regret that, or did she say that so that she could look relevant to the younger viewers? Does she really regret not having more exposure to STDs or possible unwanted pregnancies? Does she regret not having her heart broken more often, or the dings to her self-esteem?

As I pondered her statement, I felt sad for her. My heart broke for her and her troubling notion. What kind of life do you lead that this would be your regret? How disheartening to see someone tell this to (millions?) of television viewers. I hate that this is her regret in life. I hate that she has been so deceived. Too many would jump on the bandwagon, regretting that they didn’t sin more when they had the opportunity. One day, they will regret that they sinned at all when they had the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment