Thursday, July 8, 2010

What's Good for the Goose...

Like the good Christian homeschooling mom that I am, I make sure that my kids spend time each day memorizing Scripture. When they were young, I scoured stores for Bible verses set to music so we could learn while we were driving around town. I made sure that we went over the memory verses sent home from Sunday School, Junior Church and Wednesday night programs. I was determined that my kids would have God's Word hidden in their hearts. The problem was that I forgot about me.

Why was I so sure that this was an important, actually mandatory, task for my kids, but not for me? Where did I get off thinking that I was immune to needing to memorize scripture? Don't get me wrong. I have actually memorized quite a bit. It is amazing how much you can learn from listening to those songs as you drive your five kids from place to place. But, I have not been purposeful in my scripture memory. I was lazy and not convicted of the importance in my life (after all, you know, I am awfully busy and I do stop to read the Bible and pray each morning so that should be good enough, right? WRONG!)

I am placing myself in your hands by sharing my desire to get serious about memorizing God's Word. I want you to hold me accountable. When you see me, ask me to recite the latest verses I've learned. I need you because, even though I know how important it is, I am still that same lazy sinner. So,just why should we make the effort to add scripture memory to our already hectic schedules?

1. Our whole life is about sanctification. We are to be constantly moving toward being more Christlike. Jesus certainly had his scriptures down. We should work at it too.
2. The Bible tells us that we have the power to triumph over sin. Where to we get that power? The Word. Psalm 119 asks "How can a young man keep his way pure?" and answers the question with "I have stored up your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." If we know God's Word, we will win in the sin battle.
3. Jesus shows us that memorizing scripture will allow us to defeat Satan. When Christ was tempted in the wilderness, he did not beat Satan, didn't yell, didn't run. He battled Satan with the Word of God. Satan often tries to use bits of scripture out of context or to twist things. If we really know what the Bible says, we are able to see his lies more clearly and thwart his purposes.
4. Knowing scripture allows us to offer godly comfort and counsel when friends or loved ones are hurting. It is awkward to have to stop to look up a verse when someone is hurting. What a blessing to them to have you speak truth from your heart.
5. I Peter 3:15 reminds us to "always be prepared to five an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." They will ask. Your life is different and people will want to know why. Memorizing scripture will help to to share the good news of the gospel with them.
6. Knowing scripture and meditating on it allows us to know our Lord and Creator in an intimate way. I love my husband very much and after spending 28 years living with him, I know much about him. The more I know about him, the more I love and appreciate who he is. If this is the case with my husband, how much more so it should be with my God. I desperately need to spend time with and know who God is to grow my love for him and learn to appreciate who He is and what He has done.

These are reasons that I am convicted to get serious about this scripture memory thing. There are more, many more. How about the fact that it helps you to recognize falsehoods being spouted by some very popular figures or that learning new things helps to keep your brain active and lessen the effects of Alzheimer's? Come on. Join me. I promise that you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment