Thursday, August 19, 2010

Remember the Cross

Satan is so very sneaky. He takes the truth and twists it just a little and has us running around doing his bidding if we are not careful.

In talking with friends the past few months, one subject has come up more than once. It is the question, "How can I be sure of my salvation?" I am convinced that the question comes up because we have been listening to the little whispers from the Father of Lies. Do you remember when you realized that Jesus Christ was your Lord and Savior? You knew right then and there that He had come to Earth as a baby, lived a perfect life, died on the cross to pay the penalty for your sins and rose to sit at the right hand of God. What made you forget that or doubt it?

For me, it was the fact that I continue to sin. I want to do the right things. I want to be patient, loving, merciful, gentle, joyful, and faithful. I want to love my neighbor and my enemy, but some days I find it hard to love my own family. I still sin. The worst of it is that the more I learn about God, His character, and what holiness really is, the worse I realize that I am. I know that even though I am saved, I am still a depraved sinner. Somehow, I start listening to Satan when he says I am not good enough. That needs to stop. I am not good enough, neither are you. The truth is we weren't good enough that first day, but God chose us anyway. He picked us before the foundation of the world to become part of the bride of Christ. We weren't any good then, but we accepted the gift. Somewhere along the way, we decided that Satan was right and now we must start working our way to heaven.

Stop. Right now. Get on your knees and confess to God that you have been trying to earn your way. You took His free gift and attached a price tag to it. Remember the joy of His salvation and the peace that He alone can provide. "Eternal life is a gift from God, not by works, so that no one can boast." Continually visit the truth of the cross. Christ already paid for your sins: past, present and future. Stop doubting and grab hold of the truth. He doesn't need you to add anything to the work He has done. Rest in Him and know that you are His.

No comments:

Post a Comment