Monday, October 25, 2010

The Proverbs 31 Gal

Don't you just hate that Proverbs 31 woman? Just who does she think she is, showing the rest of us up like that? Wouldn't you die if you had to be her next door neighbor? Just imagine your husband coming in at the end of the day and asking, "Why can't you be more like 31 next door?"

There are days (okay only once or twice in my life) where I think, "YES, (see fist pump here) I can so totally do this!" Then I get out of bed.

My plans are always to do those things. I plan to get up while it is dark out to make breakfast for the family, but then the kids need a ride to cross country practice and they don't want to eat before they run, even if they did, they wouldn't want to get up any earlier to eat. Plan ruined before it even sees the light of day. I plan to make clothes for the family, but nothing ever comes out like the picture on the pattern and no one is happy wearing a shirt with one sleeve longer than the other. I would love to plant my own vineyard (because I'm thinking I could use a glass of wine about now), but every plant that I have ever tried to grow has up and died on me. At least the bugs, rabbits and birds are well-fed around here. I just can't seem to keep up with her and it stresses me out.

Most days I just give up before I start, and I know that is not what God has planned for me either. He didn't raise me to be a quitter. Through Him, I am more than a conqueror. So, how do I conquer the ideal set before me? I don't. Did you catch that little word in the sentence before? Ideal. The Proverbs 31 woman is an ideal, she isn't a real woman. She is what we strive for. God wants me to take care of my family, make a home, be a helpmeet to my husband, be generous to those in need, be a good friend and neighbor. Even that sounds like an over full plate, but God is growing me more and more into the ideal every day. Will I ever get there? Not this side of glory, but in the mean time, I will press on because I know that He has already won the war.

Go ahead. Read Proverbs 31 without cringing. She may not be real, but we can learn a lot from her. She reminds us that we can bring glory to God even in our menial daily chores. " Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." This is the true secret of the Proverbs 31 woman.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post!!! Thanks for the humor! Definitely needed that today!

    ReplyDelete