Thursday, December 9, 2010

Good and Perfect Gifts

Why is it so hard to accept that all of God's gifts to me are good and perfect for me? Everything that God gives me and allows in my life is ultimately to make me into one who glorifies Him perfectly. In my heart of hearts that is what I want most.

I can list blessing after blessing from God. I have life (both physical and eternal), health, family, home, friends, car, clothing, food, eyesight, intellect, peace, safety, money, flowers, sports, etc. The blessings are like an mountain river when the spring thaw arrives. I can't name them fast enough. Before I can write one down, ten more are in my mind. I KNOW that God's gifts are good and perfect.

Yet, when I start to focus on myself instead of the gifts and the giver, I become dissatisfied. I don't have everything that I think that I want when I want it. I have things that I don't think that I want. I don't want uncomfortable feelings with former close friends. I don't want difficult people. I don't want a sick child, too many things on my to do list, disobedient children, high prices and low incomes, to be merciful and gracious at all times, to love even the unlovely... Those things are hard, no fun, "not my gift". I think I want an easy life, but then I read James 1:17 "Every good and perfect gift is from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." The first part of the verse is well known, but what about the fact that my Father in heaven doesn't change? This Christmas season I want to work on remembering that my loving, all knowing Father has given me only good and perfect gifts in order to make me into the woman He has called me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment