Monday, November 29, 2010

What is Christmas Costing You

I took Tori and Austin shopping on Friday. We didn't do the "get up at 4" deal. We just went out when we got up in the morning to see what deals we could find. It was a fun morning and we enjoyed our time together much more than some of the other shoppers seemed to.

Our trip got me to thinking about the cost of Christmas. With 5 kids, a son-in-law, a grandson, and extended family in town, Christmas gifts can get to be costly. Add to that the decorations, the electricity for all those outside lights, and the huge family dinner on Christmas Eve, and the bill for the holiday becomes a little scary sometimes. Of course, you all know that. I'm sure you are in the same boat when it comes to celebrating Christmas. But, what is the real cost of Christmas?

Do we ever stop to think that Christmas cost Christ his home, his place next to his father, his honor and glory? Do we stop to think what Christmas cost God? He knew that His Son would suffer because of our sins. Because it would glorify God the most, Christ came to Earth as a baby, lived a perfect life in submission to God, and died and undeserved death on a cross in order to redeem a people who would forever glorify the Father. Christmas cost our Heavenly Father a tremendous amount. He gave up His son because we couldn't save ourselves. He gave up His only child so that we could be His children.

I hope that I always remember what Christmas really costs. I hope that I always remember how grateful I should be to the One who gave himself so that I could enjoy eternal life with my Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment