Monday, March 14, 2011

Yes, We Have No Bananas

I stopped by Walmart last week to pick up a few groceries. While I was there I noticed that they had NO bananas. I wasn't looking for bananas. In fact, I had some at home, but I was still a bit put out that they had NO bananas. How could this have happened? I expect there to be piles of bananas in the middle of the produce section when I go to Walmart. How is that for arogant, self centeredness? There should be bananas at the store whether I want to buy them or not.

When I got home and shared this startling news with my dear husband, he was kind enough to point out to me just how incredibly spoiled rotten I am. I make a grocery list and shop every couple of weeks after writing up a menu, checking sales and coupons. I never doubt that the foods I wish to purchase will be available. Oh sure, a store may be out of a special sale item, but I can get a rain check and pick it up later in the week. No big deal. So much of the world lives with a very different reality. Grocery lists aren't needed because you buy whatever the store has and are glad to get it. Many in our country and around the world don't have money to buy what little is available. The depend on being able to scrounge up something edible or on handouts from strangers.

Boy, am I humbled. I am seeing my job as family chef in a whole new light. I still may not enjoy grocery shopping, but I am darned appreciative of the opportunity to do it: in a clean store, with a variety of foods, with money to pay. God's blessings abound in my life. I need to stop taking them for granted and remember to thank Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment