Friday, July 8, 2011

Lessons Learned

I confess that I, for one, am very grateful to Casey Anthony. She has given me a couple of wonderful gifts, and I am thankful. I guess it is true that every cloud has a silver lining.

Hope. Casey has given me hope. With all the complaining and fighting in America over everything from red light cameras to killing the unborn, I began to wonder if we had any understanding of right and wrong, of justice and punishment. Thanks to this murder trial I have hope. We do understand there is a right and a wrong. I have heard the outrage of many that this woman was not at least found guilty of child abuse. Not reporting a missing preschool child for months is wrong. We all know it. We all understand that even if this is not against any law written on the books, it is just plain wrong and should be punished. I really appreciate Ms. Anthony's contribution in restoring my hope in the people of America. We do know right from wrong and we do desire to see those who are guilty punished.

Grace. The Anthony trial has reminded me of the incredible importance of grace in my life. I am guilty of so much more than Casey Anthony. I regularly break the divine law of the Sovereign Lord of all. I have wounded the Creator of the World with my thoughtless actions. I, too, deserve a horrible punishment. God, however, is full of grace and mercy and has provided me with a "Not Guilty". Through the shed blood of His righteous Son I have been redeemed. Unlike Casey, there is no taint left on me. There is no shadow of guilt or shame. I am clean, righteous and forgiven. I imagine that if I were part of the heavenly host, I would want to cry out, "But she is guilty". I would want to see justice done, but that is the great gift. Justice has been served. The debt has been paid. Christ, who knew no sin, suffered the wrath of a thrice holy God in my place. I am grateful for grace and, as sorry as I am that a precious little girl was killed, I am grateful for the lessons that I am able to find in this tragedy.

1 comment:

  1. That is a wonderful way to look at this ordeal! I like your thinking! :) Thanks for bowling with us the other day! Have a wonderful day!
    Gretchen :)

    ReplyDelete