Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Homeschool Education

Homeschooling is a great way to educate. I am not talking about your children here; I am talking about you. When I started this job 21 years ago, I thought I was doing it because it was the best thing for our children. I wanted them to have an education that fit their needs and developed
a desire to learn more. What I didn’t realize then was that God was going to use this process to teach me so much.
1. I learned about my kids. I have five children and each of them is a very interesting individual with their own gifts and talents. Having them at home everyday has given me time to really get to know (and enjoy) them. I have been able to spend time with them as they discover the wonder of nature, how radio parts (and later car parts) go back together, the joy of different art mediums,
and so many more experiences. It has been such a pleasure to see the expressions on their faces as they learn new things for themselves.
2. I have learned about myself. Like most homeschool moms, I have realized how little I retained from my education. I have learned right alongside my children and have enjoyed it. I have learned that I am more resilient than I realized. My brain cells have not all died off, and I can still learn new things even after my kids are grown and gone.
3. I have learned about God. I think that God must chuckle when another new family decides to homeschool. We all start with the greatest of expectations and quickly see that nothing goes according to plan. God teaches us patience, compassion, mercy, perseverance, and grace. Most of all, God has taught me to turn to Him daily. I make mistakes with my kids each and every day, but God is good and faithful to cover those mistakes and use them to accomplish His purposes. Homeschooling has strengthened my relationship with my Lord and Savior. There is so much more that I have learned. I know that no one will die if the bathrooms aren’t spotless, true friends ignore the clutter in the living room, everyone has their own gifts (so find a friend who enjoys dissection and invite your kids to her science lesson), dinners can be made in advance and frozen, living on a budget builds character, people are a greater investment than anything else, and I REALLY LIKE MY KIDS (especially as teens). Homeschooling has blessed me in
countless ways. I know the experience will bless the rest of you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment