Sunday, June 24, 2012

Children, A Gift From God

     A friend of mine said something yesterday that I have been mulling over in my mind. (Don't you just love that phrase "mulling over in my mind"?) She said that children are the only blessing from God where we tell him, "No thanks, I have enough." That certainly seems to be the case. I know that the Catholic Church has gotten a lot of negative reactions over the years for their stance on birth control. But, if we really and truly believe that God works ALL things for our good, if we believe that He is all knowing and all powerful, if we believe that He is who the Bible says He is, why don't we trust Him to give us the right number of children for our family? What, in our vast years of experience, makes us think that we know better than He does?

     There are an awful lot of Christians against abortion. Most of them recognize that God is the one who allowed that child to be formed. That baby is a part of His plan. What, then, is the difference? Sex doesn't always result in a child. When it does, it is because God worked a miracle. Why do we want to stop Him? I know a lot of people argue that they couldn't afford more children. Really? Has God let you down yet? Do you think that if you had another child, He would turn his back on you and let you all starve? What if the odds of having a child with a serious birth defect were high? God knows and His grace is sufficient. While I am not ready to say that birth control is evil or that you are heading to hell for using a condom, I do think it is something that you should seriously consider. Are you choosing to be god in this situation or are you willing to trust in Him and His plan?

     The other side of that coin is trying to have a baby. Is IVF the right choice? I know a lot of Christian couples who have desperately wanted a baby and have gone that route. But, aren't they choosing to play God? If He was able to give a child to Mary, a virgin, and to Sarah and Hannah and Elizabeth, why can't we trust Him to give us children if it is the best thing for us? It is hard. I know. Especially in a church where children are looked on as a blessing. But the same questions should apply here as the ones when considering birth control. Do we as the creature have the right to take the place of the Creator? I think not. These are difficult areas for everyone, especially for Christians. Let us seek God's wisdom as we discuss these things and consider His Word our standard.

1 comment:

  1. When I was pregnant with Elise I remember saying that I had enough blessings in regards to children. And while I knew that in America we would not starve, there are starving Christians in the world...God would allow us to live in American poverty. But I would argue that Christians do turn down God's blessings in other areas, there are some that say they have too much food or enough money and strive to give away what they have. I'm sure this post has mostly hit a nerve because I had just minutes ago read my friend's Hannah post. God has chosen not to bless her with children just as much as He has chosen not to bless us with American prosperity. And I'm sure part of that is because Josh thinks we have enough. Sigh, as black and white as this issue is, there are a lot of emotions and insecurities tied to it that require a lot of grace.

    ReplyDelete