Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Proud To Be an American

    Did you hear the news yesterday about the principal in New York who decided that the kindergarten class could not sing Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the U.S.A." at their graduation? Her reason? It might offend some cultures. Really? We have here American students living in America attending an American public school paid for by American tax dollars. Just what culture are you worried about offending, and why are you worried about offending them? I can tell you this. I don't live in NY or have kids in the public school system, but I sure am offended by this decision.

    Just as offensive to me is the choice of song to replace "God Bless the U.S.A.". Justin Bieber's "Baby"? How is it that a song about teenage love is less offensive than a song about the resiliency of the American people? When will this idiocy end? When will we stand up for ourselves? I am saddened that a public school principal has been allowed to decide that patriotism is offensive. I hope the parents at this school, in New York City, and around the country will speak out against this decision. I hope these students will learn how really great this country is and they will be proud to be an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment