Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mulligans and Meditations

I can not tell you how many times that I have thought, "I should have done this instead". From actions to food choices to things that I have said, I have often wished that I could have the last 10 minutes back for a redo. I should have played a game with the kids instead of sitting in front of the tv. I should have eaten an apple instead of a candy bar. I should have said that in a gentler way. It would be nice if life were like golf and we could have mulligans.

Since do overs are not possible, it is even more important for us to decide ahead of time what our actions will be. We can make plans to help us avoid some of those situations where we find ourselves regretting our decisions over and over. We can unplug the tv (or even get rid of it) and carry healthy snacks with us when we are out and only stock them in the house. The best way that I can think of to prepare ourselves to make the wisest choices is to meditate on the Word of God. His word is truth and life to those who will listen.

If that is the case, knowing the Bible inside and out can only be beneficial to us. Of course, meditating is more than just knowing what the Bible has to say, but knowing the words is a start. Considering them, figuring out how they apply to our life, praying over them, and memorizing them are all steps that follow. If I know what God has to say about my thoughts and actions and how He feels about my choices, I just might start taking them more seriously and thinking ahead a little more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment