Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream

A young mom recently said to me, " Sometimes it would be nice to know that I am not the only mom who yells at her kids once in a while." My heart went out to her. I can remember sitting in a small ladies Bible study about 25 years ago and hearing another young mom saying the same thing. Only that time I was the one saying it.

In this day and age of facebook, texting, cell phones, and all other manner of staying in touch, you would think that this wouldn't still be a problem. It seems that we are more than willing to share what we are making for dinner, our brand of toothpaste, which celebrity we think is hot, but not the truth about our lives. We are more connected than ever, but it seems shallower than ever too. When I update my status on Facebook, no one can see what my life is really like. Maybe all of this social media allows us even more opportunity to hide behind the mask of what we wish our life was like instead of revealing the reality and helping one another through.

So this is for you young moms out there (and maybe some older ones).
I yell at my kids. Not as much as I did when they were younger, I was sleep deprived, and I felt overwhelmed with the responsibility that God had given me, but I yell. I wish I didn't. I hate having to apologize to them for it.
There are days that I am totally frustrated with my husband. I am tired of picking the socks up or turning the pants right side out before washing. In 29 years I have learned to appreciate much about him. More now than before, but there are still days where he frustrates me.
Our sheets don't get washed as often as they should. Dusting is a chore I will let go until I know someone is coming to visit. I think my windows get washed once a year (but don't make me swear to it). One reason I like homeschooling is that I don't have to fight to get the kids out of bed in the morning.
As much as I say I want to have regular time focused on God each morning, too often I let the day get away from me.

None of us has it all together. We are all struggling. Many in the same areas. It seems to me we should be encouraging one another. We aren't alone. God has given us a family. Maybe we should take the time to do a little more honest communicating and a little less impressing. I've had my say, so please excuse me while I go yell at the kids for throwing the football in the living room. How many times do I have to tell them?

2 comments:

  1. I loved this! I find myself always reading your blog because I am so tired of the hypocrisy all around and I am tired of people being fake and not authentic of their true self. Your blog is one of the only ones I have found that is real and just encouraging.

    Truth is their are days I go to bed at night and say "God, I am so undeserving of these children, You gave me the best and I am blowing it!" then I wake up in the morning and start over...just to be snapping at Taylor because she will not get ready for school quick enough. Then I go to bed again that night going "God...I am REALLY messing this up, please step in before I ruin them!" I am encouraged to know I am not the only parent making mistakes or not being perfect. It is to much pressure to try to be the perfect parent. I don't want to be perfect for them, I want to be real, I want them to feel all the love I have for them, I want them to know when I am wrong, that I walk downstairs and ask for forgiveness, I want them to know that if they come home from school and I am still in my p.j's that tomorrow will be a better day, etc.

    Thank you for sharing your blog and inspiring me to be more real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy can I relate Melanie (and SinfuldaughteroftheKing)!.. I have a precious son who I am learning to appreciate more everyday. I thank God for him and the journey God is taking me on as his parent. Sometimes there is anger, sorrow and discomfort on this journey, but other times the journey is filled with a love and joy that is supernatural... I also thank God for other women who are sharing their parenting journey with me in truth and love.

    ReplyDelete