Friday, April 6, 2012

Farm Fresh Southern Cooking

Fresh fruit and vegetables and southern cooking. What could be a better combination? That was my thought when I saw this book available for free through the booksneeze program if I would just give my honest review. Honestly? I like it. I like it a lot. I was born in the south and appreciate good southern food. I love home grown fruits and veggies and it kind of irks me when people talk about southern food as being fried foods and gravy. It is really SO much better than that. Now, thanks in part to Tammy Algood, all of you can experience some fresh, tasty goods from the south.
I really appreciated Tammy's focus on locally owned farms throughout her book. What fun to read about small farms that specialize in some great food. It made me want to load up the kids and take a road trip, pigging out on yummy berries, veggies, and dairy products available along the way.
The recipes were simple enough for the average cook to prepare without any hassle, yet unique enough to impress the guest. Ingredients were everyday staples which always makes life easier. The directions were very clear. I wish, just as I do in most cookbooks, that the author had commented on whether or not the recipe was suitable for doubling and/or freezing. This might not be a need for most folks, but with a large family and a desire to cook ahead sometimes, it would be a big help to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment