Monday, April 23, 2012

His Eye Is On The Sparrow


     As the school year comes to an end, I hear from a lot of homeschool moms who are beginning to feel the stress. This is the time of evaluations, testing and portfolio review. It is the time when so many rush to “get it all in” and not fall behind. I hate this time of year for that very reason. Women who were enjoying time with their children, learning together, and reaping the rewards of working at their child’s pace and interests suddenly begin to doubt themselves and their methods as they see the year closing and they realize that their children have not accomplished what the Jones kids did.

     I love this time of year, too, because this is when I am often able to remind these women of the things they already know about their God. The Scriptures are full of wonderful verses reminding us of His omniscience (He knows just what we and our children need) “For your Father knows what you need before you ask him”, and His omnipotence (He has the power to provide for all our needs: physical, spiritual and educational) “Great is the Lord and mighty in power”. Some of the great old hymns are filled with reminders to us that God cares about even the smallest and seemingly inconsequential things. “Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.” I am sure the Bible and the hymns are full of these reminders because we are a forgetful people. So let me add my reminder here.

      God is a good father who loves perfectly. He wants our children to succeed, but His plan for their success may look different than that of this world. He has called you to be the teacher, to lead your children in His way. It is your primary job to focus them on reflecting the glory of the One who created them. If they need to learn Latin in third grade or advanced biology in fourth, God will provide an incredibly obvious open door to that path. I know. I have been there. I have had acquaintances offer to share knowledge with my children out of the blue. I wasn’t looking for teachers. I hadn’t even considered that the kids might want or need the information, but God knows and He provides. So, sit back, relax, and enjoy the end of the school year. There is no need to worry. “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?”

No comments:

Post a Comment