Thursday, September 23, 2010

Count Your Many Blessings

I woke up this morning and took a deep breath. My husband smiled at me. I got out of a comfortable bed in my beautiful home and chose what to wear from a large selection of clothing. I went downstairs to gather my healthy children so that I could drive them to cross country practice in one of our cars that my handy husband keeps in working order. There was a bright, full moon out to light our way. I was able to spend a peaceful 30 minutes after running reading my Bible and praying.After exercise we headed home so everyone could shower (thanks to my husbands ability to fix the pump last week). All of the stinky clothes went into the washer which Stan fixed last night. We ate breakfast, once again choosing from a variety of available foods. I have hardly started my day and the blessings are more than I can write. It is amazing that God has given me so much, and I still whine and complain.

One of the first verses my kids learned is Philippians 2:14"Do everything without complaining or arguing." Memorizing that is so much easier than the actual practice. I keep trying to say, "But, God..." Funny, I don't let my kids get away with that, but I try it on my heavenly Father just the same. Anyway, one of the things that has helped me out is a little further along in Philippians. Paul writes in 4:11-12 "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have leaned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation..." Learning to be content where I am keeps me from complaining about where I am. The best way that I know of to learn to be content is to try to list the blessings that God has already given me. I can't even think them fast enough, much less write them down.

God has blessed each and everyone of us more than we can begin to understand or appreciate. He created the whole amazing universe. He gave us life. Most of us walk on two good legs. We see. We hear. We feel. Someone somewhere cares about us. We have food to eat, water to drink, clothes to wear and a bed to sleep in. We are blessed, blessed, abundantly blessed and it is about time we started realizing it. When we do, I am convinced we will be more than content to let God continue in the same vein and stop complaining that we don't have the "latest and greatest". We have something so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment