Monday, September 6, 2010

Of Combat Boots and Swim Fins

God surprises me sometimes. Really He surprises me most of the time, but when He reminds me that He cares about the little, "unimportant" things in my life, I am amazed and feel like falling down on my face in grateful adoration for such a loving father. I want to share a couple times in the past few months that God has blown me away with His generosity.

Jesse is involved in the Sea Cadets program (I can't say enough good things about the program and his unit. If you have kids 11-17, you should check it out). This winter they did a field training exercise that meant they were out in the wild for three days, marching and wearing their combat boots the whole time. The unit provides the uniforms for the kids as long as they have some that fit. That means that Jesse has been wearing combat boots that are really a half size too small for a while because there were none his size. I wanted to get him some that fit, but they don't come cheap and everyone needed other shoes and stuff, so those were a low priority. I daydreamed about buying him boots, but that was as far as it went, for me anyway. God had another plan. He owns the cattle on a thousand hills and I guess He owns a bunch of combat boots too because the unit received a brand new pair in Jesse's size that he was able to get and use. No marching for three days in boots too small. God is good!

When Jesse got back from field ops, we began to research summer training opportunities. He picked out the ones for this year, and we looked at what he might be interested in the following summer. Many were advanced training that would involve scuba training. I began to long to expose him to scuba training before next summer so that he would feel more comfortable about doing an advanced training. Silly me, did I go to God to ask for this. No. Not me. I don't want to bother Him with that. He has important things to care about. So, again, I daydreamed about scuba lessons for Jesse and investigated the cost (wow, they are not cheap), but that was it. This past Saturday at drill we were informed that the cadets will become scuba certified as part of their drills this year. They will receive their lessons, masks, snorkel, dive bag, weight belt, boots, fins and log book along with scuba certification. They will even be taking a weekend trip to do their open water dives. All that for $125 (less if we can do some serious fundraising). How incredibly good is God?

I am so richly blessed to have a God that cares so much for me that He provides ALL of my needs and so many of my desires. As pitiful as it is, He deserves all that I am. I can't wait until heaven when I am able to worship and thank Him as He deserves for ever and ever. I hope that you know this God and have that same longing to meet Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment