Monday, September 13, 2010

How Great Is Our God

Do you ever start to think that you are all that and a bag of chips? Yeah, me too. Sometimes (more often than I would like to admit) I start thinking that the planets are shifting ever so slightly and beginning to revolve around me. It seems logical at the time, after all, I am the center of my own little universe. Then I walk out the front door on my way to some meeting or other and look up at the night sky. Wow! That is humbling.

Just the little bit of sky that we can see from our own front yard can remind me of who is really the center of the universe. God's awesome power is there on display for all to see and say, "Aah, yes, THAT is God's work. He truly is amazing beyond what we can comprehend." I am in awe of God, the creator of everything. At times I wish my mind was big enough to "get" even a little piece of Him, but, then I realize that if I could, then He wouldn't be God.

If I thought that the night sky was an incredible example of God's power, creativity, and care, can you imagine my reaction to pictures from the Huble Telescope? THAT, my friends, is truly an awesome God worthy of all our praise, adoration and worship. He alone created all of that with just a word. Can you imagine? I can't. Isn't it wonderful that our God is so big? How can we possibly have a single worry or care in the world when we know that the God who created about 350,000,000,000 galaxies yet knows the number of hairs on our heads is in control? The very same God that set the world in motion is the God who hears your prayers? He is all powerful, all knowing and all sufficient. Praise Him for He alone is worthy.

I now own the book "The Heavens Proclaim His Glory" which contains pictures from the Huble. It sits on my coffee table. I don't have to wait for a clear night to bring my back to my place. I am reminded each morning. "Astronomers are now convinced that there are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on the beaches of the world. When you consider that our sun - the star - is a grain of sand, this makes Earth infinitesimally small! And on this eensy speck of earth, out of the billions of people, the Lord of the universe came to earth to save you. Truly, the heavens declare not only His glory, but His mercy! Joni Eareckson Tada
Is that the God you are worshipping?

1 comment:

  1. We saw the Huble 3D movie this weekend at the Kennedy Space Center. I was in humble awe of God's creation, and how infinite the heavens seem to be. I feel pretty insignificant compared to the vastness of the universe, but then I remember God knows the number of hairs on my head, and He cares so much for me that He died for me before I even knew Him, before I repented of my sin. Wow!

    ReplyDelete