Thursday, September 16, 2010

Enthralling Beauty

I have such a terrific husband. We have been married for almost 29 years, and there has not been one day gone by that he hasn't told me that I am beautiful. The best part is that he really means it. It is a real blessing to me to hear that from him, but I know that I frustrate him a lot because I just can't see it. I think that our eyes must work differently because when I look in the mirror, beautiful is not the word that comes to my mind.

Lately, I have become aware of my sin in this. Stan is a man of integrity. Why do I think he isn't telling the truth here? It is because I have allowed myself to believe the lie that Satan is selling, that I just don't measure up. He tells me that in so many ways, not just in the looks department. Does he whisper in your ear too? Are you not nice enough, generous enough, doing enough, smart enough, loving enough, peaceful enough, blameless enough? Stop right there. He is leading you down a path of lies. Grab yourself a Bible and start filling your head with the truths found in God's Word.

I still don't think that I measure up to America's standard of beauty, but I have learned that I am downright gorgeous in God's eyes. Psalm 45:11 says, "The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him for he is your lord." He knows me inside and out, the good parts and the truly ugly stuff, yet He tells me that I am beautiful, that He is enthralled, and that I should honor Him. I still may not get it, but I am working on believing. Stan is not going to hear me answer him with, "Are you crazy?" or, "You need some glasses." anymore. God has made me and I am beautiful. Like we said as kids, "God don't make no junk."

No comments:

Post a Comment