Monday, November 1, 2010

Be Diligent and Persevere

There are some things you may not know about me. I am a concert pianist, a gourmet chef, and speak three languages fluently. At least that is me in my dreams. The problem that I see with all of those things is that you must put in a lot of effort and practice. I'd like to accomplish all of those goals, but I just don't want to work that hard at it. I admit it. I am part of the instant gratification generation, and it is a struggle every day. Are you there too? Is there something that you would like to do, but it is just too much work?

1Timothy 4:13-16 says,"Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers." My dictionary tells me that to persevere is to continue steadfastly in a course of action in spite of difficulties or obstacles. The thesaurus gives the words tenacity and determination as synonyms for perseverance. Perseverance is not an easy thing. How then, can I accomplish it?

First, I must have a worthwhile goal. I need to find something that is worth the effort, work, suffering, and self-sacrifice that will be required to acquire it. My goal must be bigger than my selfishness, laziness, and pride. Second, I need help. If I really want to accomplish something that is big, I can not do it on my own. I need accountability to others. Last, and most important, I need God. In order for me to do anything that has true worth, I need to check my goals against His. I need to make sure that I am working inside His will for my life.

I am not going to be a concert pianist, gourmet chef or trilingual. While those are good goals for some, they don't meet the above criteria for my life. I am set to persevere in being a loving wife, good mother, and student of my Lord and Savior. The road to success here is paved with many obstacles and stumbling blocks. I will veer off course at times, but with your help and the Lord's guidance, I will persevere and here the words "Well done, good and faithful servant" one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment