Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Then Sings My Soul

"Then Sings My Soul", which I received for free for agreeing to do a book review for Thomas Nelson Publishing, made both my soul and my mouth sing. In this day and age of some good contemporary Christian music, some of the great old hymns of yesterday could easily be forgotten. I loved being able to read through some of my favorite hymns from days gone by.
The addition of stories about how these particular hymns came to be was an added bonus in my eyes. Not only was I able to wallow in the great theological depth of some masterfully written favorites, I was able to read how God worked to bring those songs into being. It is a joy to read how He used even unbelievers to minister to us today.
I particularly appreciate how the author has arranged the hymns into groups for the holidays. Since I received the book shortly before the Thanksgiving season, I started with those hymns, then moved onto the Christmas section. Reading through the words of these lovely works reminded me of the grace and glory of our God. What a blessing it is to have this book in our home. I know that I will be reading through it for years to come and sharing it with my children and grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment