Friday, November 12, 2010

My Favorite Child

So, I know that as a mom, I am not supposed to have a favorite, but I do. Just don't tell my kids.

Of course Amber is my favorite, after all, she is the first. How can your first not be your favorite? She was the one who lived with me through all of my missteps in parenting. She was the one Itried it all out on to see if it worked. She is the one that I was toughest on and expected the most from. I messed up a lot mostly because I didn't know any better, and yet, she turned out to be a lovely young woman who loves the Lord and her family. I thought that somehow, I could make it all turn out right for her. She is the one who taught me to trust God because He makes it all turn out right. She is certainly my favorite.

Nathan, for sure, has to be my favorite. Nathan is such and easy, loving, gentle person that there is no way he couldn't be my favorite. He is always the quickest to forgive. He doesn't take offense when I yell or am angry unfairly. He is amazingly comfortable with who he is and doesn't worry about what others think of him or his actions. He is willing to be goofy and takes the teasing well. He has learned true humility by not thinking less of himself but by thinking of himself less. He is the one who has taught me that God loves us just the way He made us. Of course, he is my favorite.

Of all my children, Jesse is most like me. He loves structure, order and a plan for the day and his life. He is responsible and dependable. He is the one I call on first when I absolutely need a job done because I know it will be taken care of. He has a great sense of duty and works so hard to meet others needs. Although his temper is short at times, he is always repentent. He seems to know what needs to be done and sets out to do his very best to accomplish the task. He is the one who has taught me that God has created us for good works that He has prepared for us in advance. He is my favorite without a doubt.

Victoria Rose is certainly my favorite child. Her energy is boundless. Seriously, it is boundless. She never stops moving, even when sitting still. If I could just bottle that to sell, I would make millions. Tori is my child full of joy. She doesn't giggle or chuckle. She laughs. She laughs often, and she laughs loud. She enjoys all of life and is eager to meet each new challenge head on. There is nothing that she won't give a try and give her whole heart to when she does. She brings sunshine to all, even on the darkest days. She is the one who has taught me to rejoice in the Lord always. No question about it, she is my favorite.

There is no way that Austin could not be my favorite. He is my baby. He is the end of an era for me as a mom. He is my cuddly one. He is the one who hugs me and crawls in my lap (although that is about to end because he is getting too big). He is the one who is glad to just be with me. He has gotten all of the leftovers. His books, toys, and clothes are never new and it never bothers him. He gets the mom who is tired, slower, and worn, but he loves me anyway and tells me every day. He is compassionate and caring, loving and gentle. He has taught me that God is always about doing what is best for me. He is my favorite, for sure.

I know that it is bad parenting to pick a favorite child. It is even worse when you make it obvious to others, but I can't help it. I just needed to say it, but I would really appreciate it if you don't let them know who my favorite is. I can't imagine the sibling rivalry that would ensue if they knew who my favorite really is.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely description of each child! I hope you share this with your children so each can appreciate themselves & each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, I sure hope they do not read your blog!!! :) Sweet post.

    ReplyDelete