Thursday, November 4, 2010

But I Have Prayed for You

"Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

Wait. What? If I had been Peter, I sure wouldn't have wanted to hear that Satan was asking to sift me like wheat. After all, remember what happened to Job when Satan went after him. That is not a pleasant thought, but then Jesus says, "But I have prayed for you, Simon." There it goes. Everything is going to be fine. You just know that Jesus is going to keep Satan from doing anything bad, but, no, that isn't what Jesus says.

That my faith won't fail? What is that all about? That isn't going to happen if you keep Satan away, if you put a hedge around me, if you send a legion of angels to guard me. Just think, Jesus, of all that I can accomplish for you if you don't let Satan loose against me. I know those would have been my thoughts. I know that if Jesus is praying that my faith won't fail, it won't. But, I also know that difficult times are coming, and I had better get ready.

Not only did Jesus pray that Peter's fail wouldn't fail, but the last part of this really gets me. "And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers." Jesus knows that Peter is going to turn away, but He also knows that Peter is coming back. He knows those things about us, too. He knows when we are going to falter and stumble and even turn our backs on Him. He also knows that nothing can take His sheep from His hand. I need to have that reminder sometimes when I fail big time. I can always turn back. Jesus is expecting me.

Not only can I turn back, but He can use my failings to strengthen others. My screw ups can be used for His glory. Even when I make the wrong choice, others will benefit. I benefit too. I get to be reminded of God's immeasurable grace and mercy. I am reminded of Christ's great sacrifice to pay the price of ALL my sins; past, present and future. I am humbled and God can use me even more because in my weakness, He is strong.

Be praying for me. Be praying for all your Christian friends. We are going to make wrong choices. We are going to sin. Pray that our faith doesn't fail. Pray that we are ready when the trials come. Pray that God uses us in our weakness to strengthen one another. I'll be praying for you.

1 comment: