Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Are You Comfortable?

It is no surprise to those of you who know me that I was a nerd in highschool. Actually, I was a nerd in first grade. What may surprise many is that a couple of years after graduation, I fell in love with and married... a jock. I guess opposites really do attract after all.

I love my husband and enjoy spending time with him so that meant learning sports. The first couple of years I was totally out of my element. The clothing was different. Did you know there are different kinds of cleats for different sports? I didn't. There was also a whole new language to learn. A slice was no longer how you cut your birthday cake, but how you hit your golf ball. Now, not only does three strikes mean that you are out, it can also mean that you are a turkey and that is a good thing. I was confused, but I gradually learned. Not only did I learn about sports, I came to enjoy and appreciate them. I am comfortable at a football game, bowling tournament, or track meet. (I still find golf to be really boring, but at least I understand what he is talking about).

I was thinking about this because of an argument that I heard about making the church more "user friendly". I heard that we should not dress up for church services because that made Larry Lost feel uncomfortable. We should not use "Christianese" because Sally Sinner doesn't know what we mean. We need to be more like the culture so we can draw them in to the church. They will be comfortable and stay. Then they will be saved. That is a crock. When the lost are feeling comfortable, no one is confronting them with their sin and need of a Savior.

Dress up in your finest when you go to meet with your creator. Doesn't He deserve the best that you have? Go ahead and use words like sanctification, justification, and propitiation. Just be sure that you explain what you mean when you use them. God will call whom He desires to the church. We don't have to change the way we "do church" for Him to save the lost. We just have to be faithful to preach the good news and glorify God.

No comments:

Post a Comment