Thursday, April 29, 2010

Why Change?

I've been thinking about a discussion that I had today. It was about homosexuality and if God hates it or not. Of course, I said "YES". The comment was made in reply that homosexuals are just born that way as if that excuses the sin and that should be the end of any debate on the subject. I think that is an assinine answer.

How many of us are willing to accept that our children are just born selfish and we shouldn't work to change their behavior? Not me. In fact, from my point of view they (me too) are way too selfish, and we need to work on it all day every day. Just because someone is born with a predisposition to be overweight, do we let them go on their merry way? Not if we love them. We help them to learn to make wise food choices and exercise. Who among us would accept the excuse from a serial killer that they are just born to take their anger out on people in that way?

Shoot. America lives to change the way people are when they are born. We change hair color, body shape through plastic surgery,and eye color with contacts. There are more self help books on store shelves every day, all aimed at changing a person to make them "better". Why then do we accept the excuse "I was born that way" for this particular sin? God is all powerful, willing and able to help us to overcome any sin that rules our lives. This goes for homosexuality, greed, adultery, or selfishness. Don't cop out. Own up to your sinful life and ask Him to help you out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment