Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Indulge yourself

I've been thinking about a book that I saw at the Christian bookstore this past weekend, "Eat the Cookie, Buy the Shoes". Do we as Christians, especially here in America really need permission to indulge ourselves? It seems to me that we are more than willing to indulge in the extras in life (food, bigger homes, newer cars, technology).

What we seem to need is someone to tell us "study the Word, pray to God". Unfortunately, I include myself in this. I desperately need to be called to a higher purpose than eating and buying. At the end of my life, I don't want to look at my expanded waistline and a closet full of shoes to feel satisfied. I want to be able to recall memorized scripture, promises of God, answered prayers, assurance of eternal life in heaven, and children walking the right path, and the good news shared. Those are the things that will truly satisfy.

I haven't read the book and the author my be full of wisdom and practical advice, but I kind of doubt it. After all, isn't self-control one of the fruits of the spirit. Shouldn't we be applauding the efforts of our fellow Christians as they practice that in any area of life. No one needs a friend telling them that one cookie won't hurt when they are trying to lose that last 10 pounds. We need someone walking beside us, encouraging us in the hard work ahead.

If you want to eat the cookie or buy the shoes, that is up to you. You know the areas of your life that you need to get under control. You know what God is calling you to do. Maybe a cookie or a pair of shoes isn't a problem for you. And of course, even if you shouldn't eat the cookie, but you choose to, God is able to forgive all our sins, but let us strive for holiness even as He is holy.

It is just what I've been thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment