Saturday, April 24, 2010

Who's Job Is It Anyway?

I've been thinking about Psalm 3:8 which says "Salvation belongs to the Lord." That certainly reminds us that we have nothing to do with "saving the lost". All of our fancy programs, upbeat music, creative skits, and engaging kids activities can't save people. They might get people in the door of the church, but they don't change hearts, and do we really believe that the God of all creation can't move the people He has chosen to a church that doesn't have all of those things?

I've been thinking a lot lately about the direction of the church. We seem to be moving toward a focus on the lost sinner than on the Lord. The underlying motive for all that we do should be the glory of God, not getting the lost into the congregation. The worship service is an invitation from our Heavenly Father to meet with us so that, as a family, we can spend time together with Him, learning, praising, petitioning, and sharing. It is not necessarily the time to be worried about saving the lost. That is not our job. Shocking, isn't it.

I can't find anywhere in my Bible that says I should be about saving the lost. My job is to glorify God, share the good news, be ready to defend my faith, and love others. God takes care of the saving part. I sure am glad of that because that kind of burden would destroy me. Imagine if the salvation of man depended on man. We should stop acting as if it does and start knowing our God better so that we can do our job well.

No comments:

Post a Comment