Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Fear Not

I have some silly fears. I am do not like driving over bridges when I can't see the whole bridge laid out in front of me. I have this fear in the back of my mind that all of a sudden part of the bridge will be missing, and I will drive right off into the water. I know this is a ridiculous fear, and it doesn't keep me from driving across the causeways where we live to get to the beach, but every time I do, I have that thought in the back of my mind.

Through most of my married life, my husband has been in business for himself. I can not tell you the number of times when he started out that we would be in the last week of the month with a pile of bills and no way to pay them. Every time we ended up with enough to cover our needs. That doesn't mean we didn't scrimp and pinch every penny. It doesn't mean that we weren't late on payments a few times, but every time God covered our needs. My fears about our ability to pay bills were just as unfounded as my fear of the disappearing bridge.

Our fears will bind us and keep us from the very best that God has for us if we let them. A fear that your neighbor won't like you may keep you from making a great new friend. A fear of stepping forward to volunteer may keep you from discovering or developing a talent. A fear of man will keep you from sharing the good news with others. Sure we may fail and people may laugh, but what good is a life spent doing only the safe and comfortable? How can you be useful that way.

Remember Isaiah 41:10 tells us "fear not, for I am with you: be not dismayed, for I am your God: I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Those are some tremendously powerful words. As you step out to conquer your fears, God is with you. He's got you covered. When God has your back, there is no reason at all for us to fear. The beaches are worth the trip over the bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment