Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Patience Grows Slowly

I have to laugh every time I hear someone say they could never homeschool because they just aren't patient enough. I'm sure that God is getting a good chuckle out of it too. The reason this is so funny is that I am such an incredibly impatient person that if patience were a criteria for homeschooling, I wouldn't even be allowed to spell the word. I really dislike when things disrupt my plans. How can it be that my kids "don't get" Algebra? I read the explanation in the book and understand it just fine. How can they not have finished the 5 page research paper? They had a whole week to work on it (along with said Algebra, Literature, Science, Baseball practice, Spanish, and housework). Mowing the neighbors lawn while she is in the hospital giving birth is not on the schedule, but they are delighted to offer this gift to them.

I didn't get into homeschooling because I was a patient person. Our family started homeschooling because we felt it was the best choice for us. Homeschooling allows us to grow together as a family. It gives us the opportunity to make attitude adjustments immediately. It helps us to teach our children that character counts and part of that character is patience. I didn't start this journey as a patient person and I'm still not there. Patient is not a word that anyone I know would use in their top 10 words to describe me, but I am growing. Not only am I growing in patience, but my children are getting to see an example of God working over a long period to make us more like Him.

Will I ever be a patient person? At the rate I'm going I'd have to live to be 300, but that is okay. God is patient with my impatience. I must go to Him constantly repenting, asking forgiveness, and begging Him to help me grow. You know what? He does. Much of the time He uses my kids and homeschooling to do it. Don't let a lack of patience keep you from considering homeschooling your children. God has enough for both of you, and if you work with Him, yours will grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment