Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Hole In Our Gospel

The title of this Richard Stearns book intrigued me. As far as I knew there was no hole in the gospel. Nothing was missing in my book, so I decided to read and see what he had to say. I confess that I usually look to see who has reviewed a book before I start reading. I don't read what they say, I just want to see who has been reading it. I shouldn't have done that with this book because it gave me the wrong impression before I started.

While I understand what Stearns is saying about a hole in the gospel, I don't really like the way that statement comes across. He is right. Too many of our churches, therefore, too many of our church goers are not getting the whole message, but that does not mean that there is a hole in the gospel. That means the church is failing in getting the whole message across. Our preachers are focusing too much on the Savior role of Christ and not enough on the Lordship of Christ.

Stearns encourages us as fellow believers (and even non-believers) to do what we can to help others. While he focuses greatly on the poor and HIV affected in Africa, he does remind us that reaching out to those in our own backyard is needed too. I really appreciate his desire to see the church mobilized to do great things for God's glory. I hope that many will read this book and be moved to look around and start utilizing their gifts to serve the Lord.

I think it is impossible to read this book without being moved. We who have so much need to be reminded often how much that really is. Even though I feel the book is misnamed, it is worth reading and acting upon.

1 comment:

  1. this is something that our church is specifically challenging the small group leaders with...missional community living....but I fail.

    ReplyDelete