Monday, May 9, 2011

Just In Case

In the past week I have talked with two pro-abortion advocates and both have used the same argument in favor of abortion. It is one that I just can't seem to understand at all. It goes like this: Abortion should be legal because these children are "unwanted" and they could end up being abused or even killed. In other words, kill them just in case something bad might happen to them in the future.

Let's seriously consider this argument. My guess is that if we polled every American who has been the victim of a violent crime and asked them if they would have preferred to be killed before the crime had happened, we would get an overwhelming "are you crazy?" response. I think that even though the crime was awful and they would prefer to have avoided that altogether, most people would still choose to live. No battered woman has ever said to me, "Boy, I sure wish someone had killed me before my husband (or boyfriend) had started beating on me." Are they happy with what is going on? No. Do they wish things were different? Certainly, but they still realize that life is better than death.

Now, take their argument to the next step. There is no proof that these " unwanted" babies are going to be abused. Do we live in a country where we feel it is right to kill someone because there is the possibility or even the probability that they will be the victim of a violent crime. I should hope not. We would have to kill everyone just in case they might suffer in such a way. How does that make any sense at all?

I am not saying that there are not parents out there who horribly abuse their children. There are. There are parents who very much wanted their children who beat them and hurt them. But we never say, "Kill the victims." Our answer is to prosecute those who would harm the innocent. Why, then, do we seem to feel it is okay to kill the possible victim as long as they have not traveled the birth canal? Even those who are pro-death must see how idiotic this argument is.

No comments:

Post a Comment